Monday, May 15, 2006

September 12, 1973
In which I describe my schedule

Wow! I have been home for a week and a half and I haven't written in my journal yet. Lots of exciting things have been happening. My schedule is:

  • Gym - I am in an all Senior gym class. It's awful - but I am trying very hard to live with it. A girl named Lorrie Roth was my partner today. She asked to be. We are playing tennis. Kathy Robatham is in my class also.

  • TAP - Nothing is going on in there because we don't have busses yet. I will go to Hillcrest though.

  • Child Development - It is sort of a dippy class. Not many college bound students are taking it.

  • Spanish - The kids are horrid but Sr. Rosales is cute. He is just like a little kid. I think it will be enjoyable.

  • Love and Loneliness - Fantastic class. Miss Klein is a great teacher and fun too. Even though some kids aren't so great, I like this class.

  • Cerulean - OK. It's fun to be "big juniors" but really the same as last year. Danny seems different to me. I think I had a dream about him lately or something because I feel funny when I am around him. Sort of clean. I can't explain it.

  • Attendance Page - Fun, fun, fun! This class lets me meet people and talk to people who I don't usually talk to. Even Mr. Shuster talked to me today. Thrillsville??


And that is my day. I have a big problem though. I've seen Bob and my heart goes thump-thump. I still don't like him but my want for him is becoming stronger by the hour. It has almost reached what it was before. Yesterday I walked only fifty feet behind him. Today I couldn't find him.

I don't see how two people - once thought to be in love - could be so far apart from each other. One of these days I am going to give in and get up enough guts and say something to him.

Note:
Do you notice an absence of science and math in my schedule? That's because my counselor/student advisor suggested that since I was going to be a teacher I didn't need to take any more science or math. Being a teenager who didn't like math, I was just fine with that. I had actually wanted to take chemistry, but I guess I would have needed more math or something. The schedule is full of nothing but fluff. If I had taken a science and more math perhaps I would have become a scientist instead of a teacher. Or at least a science teacher!

I ended up quitting Child Development because it was full of unwed mothers. One told me the details of childbirth which frightened me a lot. I don't recall what I took instead of Child Development though.

TAP was the teacher's aide program. Most of the students who took that were potential drop-outs. The thought was that they would find it more interesting than regular classes.

Love and Loneliness was actually "The Literature of Love and Loneliness" and we read self help books. Miss Klein was pretty cool though. I took another class with her the following year.

Cerulean was the Yearbook staff.

Danny was Dan F. I may have mentioned him in my other journal. Of course he was different around me -- we liked each other. He was from a family of many children (at least ten). I think I was pretty unkind to him. We had one date and went to prom together -- as friends. Maybe I chronicled it later in this journal. My mom called on Saturday to let me know that Dan's mother died recently, wondering if Dan and I had kept in touch. The last time I saw Dan was at an auction probably twenty or so years ago. I think we said "hi". I think Dad did some work for him occasionally.

Not going to comment on my continued mentioning of Bob.

No comments: