Tuesday, May 16, 2006

October 21, 1973
In which my weekend is busy

Well, well, well. Let me begin at the beginning of my exciting weekend.

Friday night was homecoming. Larkin played St. Charles. We won 21 - 20. Lori was having her hand held by a boy named Watt S. She has been having troubles with him. She likes a boy named Glenn M. but she was never sure whether Glenn liked her until today.

Saturday was so beautiful. Lori and I rode bikes from 10:30 to 3:00. She poured out her problems to me and I listened and gave as much advice as I could relating to my relationship with Bob. Lori asked me to tell her truthfully if I would ever go out with her brother, Fred. I thought for a while -- perhaps not long enough -- and answered, "Yes I would -- if he asks me."

Then later that day guess who asked me to go out with him today - Fred S. himself. He asked me if I wanted to go to the circus with him and Lori and Glenn. I said sure, it would be fun. So it was settled.

Then Saturday night was David Koeser and Sue Shauer's wedding. I was really looking forward to it so I could try out my new "approach to people". The wedding was dull and boring. When the people were being ushered out I looked back and saw a guy. There were lots of guys there -- but this one stood out -- he was my kind. I thought that I would see him at the reception. When I arrived at the reception mom and dad suddenly left me standing all alone in the place full of strangers. I stood in the doorway, not recognizing anyone. Then I saw a cute guy. I thought it was the guy from church but he had a CPO jacket on, not a suit. Oh well, better to have two anwyay. This guy looked me when he went past -- right into my eyes really. And this thrilled me.

Then when my family came back and we were situated I found out that he was the piano player of the band.

Then Beth came and we were talking. I went into the room where she and the band were. I told her to look at the piano player. She thought he was cute too. We talked some more and I was looking around. My heart skipped a beat and I practically fainted. There he was. The guy from the church. I looked at Beth and we exchanged glances. I asked her who he was. She said that he was probably a cousin or something. I was uninterested in him for a while then because I saw the piano player again. Then we edged out way downstairs because Beth had to cut the cake. We went down and just about at the end the guy from the church came through with Sue's grandmother. I thought about him again instead of the piano player.

then we ate (he was at the table just behind us). When I was done I looked around and didn't see him. I went upstairs and met my mom and dad. They said I should go up and watch their drinks. When I got up there I couldn't find an empty table with drinks so I figured they had been taken.

I watched the band for a while but couldn't feel so thrilled about the piano player anymore. I also couldn't find the guy from the church. I figured out that he was Sue's cousin.

The next time I saw him was after the garter and bouquet throwing time. I went downstairs because cake was down there. I was just about to pick up a piece of cake and who should I see but Sue's cousin outside the room. I walked out the door and he sort of looked at me. Then as I was going upstairs I looked back and he was watching me. I went up and down the stairs a hundred times last night. Once I even followed him a little bit after he went down. Then my mom and dad came up and so did he. He stood just outside watching the dancing. I stood on the other side of the door watching. He looked at me a few times.

A little later my mom wanted to get some cake. I wasn't going to until he went. I followed him down. I was all set to eat downstairs until he went upstairs, then guess where I went. I saw him sitting all alone on the couch and was really about to speak to him when a woman who knew him started asking him about himself. I listened in and heard this info:

  1. He lives in Woodstock and goes to a school called North something

  2. He plays football

  3. Something about the JV team


I was really honestly about to speak to him when we had to leave. Isn't life a rotten thing? I am infatuated with someone I may never see again.

Today was busy and a day full of experiences. Instead of going to the circus we went to Brookfield Zoo. It took us three hours to get there. The ride there was fine. The time at the zoo was awful because I am repulsed at Fred. I cannot stand being around him. If I was with someone I knew I might have felt better. (of course). I couldn't even pretend I was with Sue's cousin.

On the way back he bought me flowers (carnations - red, pink and white). We stopped at a restaurant that was real fancy.

When we got back to [Lori and Fred's house] we played football a little and then had a dish of ice cream cake. Fred brought me home.

Note:
Don't remember the wedding boy much, nor the piano player. I vaguely remember getting all hot and bothered by a couple of guys when I was somewhere with Beth, but not the details at all.

Lori and Watt. I remember them together. Lori told me things they did and I really didn't believe it.

Fred. Poor geeky Fred. I guess technically that was my first date - if you don't count the Gary C. one as a date. I neglected to mention in the journal entry that Fred brought a huge bottle of soda (coke?) in the car and drank the whole thing quickly (to impress me?). He felt sick. I don't think that he was able to eat at the "fancy restaurant" at all - in fact I think he threw up there.

That is a story I told my son recently -- to let him know that drinking a gallon of coke in front of the girl he likes is a really bad way to impress her. I think that was the turning point of my friendship with Lori. I guess I broke Fred's heart.

::snort::

No comments: