Wednesday, May 17, 2006

November 27, 1973
In which I apply for a job and learn bad news

Lots has happened since the last entry. The first thing is Dan quit the staff. He didn't come in on Monday after the party. I missed him but didn't say anything until Debbie came in and said that Dan had just quit. Then I began asking questions. Debbie didn't know why he had quit. I really felt low so I left. The rest of the week remained uneventful until Friday when I applied for a job at Ben Franklin. No one knows but me, that one main reason I applied there was to be near Dan. He had not talked to me at all all week -- but when he saw me at the store he asked me what I was doing there. I told him I was applying for a job. He turned around and told the lady that he didn't recommend me. Of course he was fooling.

Then when I went up to get my application Mr S. recognized me and said, "Oh yes. This is the girl Dan has a crush on." I said, "Oh, I doubt that," hoping that I was wrong.

The lady said that she would call me when the tests came in. I was in high spirits and sure I got the job.

Enough of that for now. I really have a reason to be feeling low. Thursday night I found out that Jim E. was caught selling marijuana at school. I had to promise that I told no one. I will tell no one I promise if God only helps me keep my big mouth shut. I didn't realize how upset I was until I read an article in tonights paper. It is all about him and his friends. I started crying. Why Jim?

Mother says that a big blame is on daddy. I can see her reasoning.

Note:
I don't remember Dan quitting the yearbook staff. I don't know why he did.

I remember applying for the job at Ben Franklin, but I thought I applied for the job because I wanted to go to England and wanted to do it before Cindy J. did.

I am surprised that I had not mentioned England yet. I must have known about it by this time. My parents said I could go if I paid for half of the airfare (which was about a fifth of what it is now).

That summer I'd had a dream or daydream that there was an opportunity to go to England. In the dream/daydream we competed with each other by writing essays. I remember knowing that Beth N. a cheerleader and all around popular (but not mean) girl was also in the competition. In the dream I won the essay contest and got to go to England. What a surprise when I heard that the junior class was invited to apply for a trip to England that June and July. It was to be a sort of exchange program. We'd host an English student and we would then stay with that family. I know that a huge part of the rest of the journal will focus on that.

I had completely forgotten about my cousin Jim selling pot. I guess I must have been able to "keep my big mouth shut". I'm not at all sure what I meant by "Mother says that a big blame is on daddy". Jim's brother, Bob, comes to live with us later after he gets in trouble with the law. Maybe Dad was supposed to look out for his sister's boys or something.

No comments: