Tuesday, May 16, 2006

October 16, 1973
In which I meet a future boss

Journal time once again!! I feel quite moody today. The day went all right but I feel sick at what just happened. Carol S. and I were just selling ads. We went to Ben Franklin and as we were getting the ad I said that I knew Dan F. Were kidding around about him and I said that Dan said that he (the boss) would take it out of [Dan's] paycheck. Anyway to end the conversation I said that Dan was a great guy.

Mr. S. agreed and the conversation switched. Mr S. said that he was real proud that he gave Dan a job. He said that many places wouldn't. Then he began talking about Dan's arm and what he could do with it.

The guy made me mad! Announcing his pride all over the place!

I can't figure out my feelings towards Dan. I really like him a lot -- but not the kind of like I had for Bob. Ok, even Gary. This is a clean and sensible like.

I wish I knew about [Dan] and Teena. Oh well, life is silly???

Note:
Selling ads was part of being on the yearbook staff. The yearbook was supported by advertisements by local businesses. I hated this job more than anything. Remind me to tell you about the time I went to the Elgin Police Station and they acted as if I was a drug using teenager.

I would end up working with Dan at Ben Franklin. Mr S. was a middle-aged businessman. He hired 16 year olds and paid them less than minimum wage. I think I made about $1.70 an hour, maybe less. (according to the U.S. Department of Labor Employment Standards Administration Wage and Hour Division, minimum wage increased to $2.00 an hour in 1974.) Mr. S. acknowledged that he was not paying us minimum wage, but said it would break him if he did.

I remember another conversation I had with Mr S. He said that we kids were so lucky. We had so many years ahead of us. He had much fewer years left to live. I think about that conversation a lot lately. I now know how he felt.

While I have no proof, I think he got some thrills with at least one of the young girls who worked for him. There was a tiny, cute blond-haired girl who would go in his office and sit on his lap. She was not 16 yet -- and I think I remember she was a smoker.

No comments: