Wednesday, March 09, 2005

May 7, 1973
In which I see my grandpa

[Listening to: Teenage Angst - Dan Bern


Well, I got it over with! I saw my grandfather for the first time since his leg was amputated. It was just like everyone said - all right. He hadn't changed - he doesn't smile as much - but that is to be expected. I found something else about him that I had never known before - he is a poet. {wonderful}

I found some love poems he wrote to my grandmother. The first one made me cry - it was just before or after they were married. There was another one about her hair was growing gray (just a bit of it). Then - I found one about me! I was the first grandchild - so he wrote his feelings about me.

I took my journal up - but didn't write in it.

Before school Jeff talked to me. I had a crush on him in 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th grades. Last year he read this journal and I almost killed him. Today he asked me about my journal. {and what did you say?}

Note:
I remember the trip to see my grandparents. I didn't realize I found the poems then though. I ended up taking the one about me when I visited the cabin many years later during my honeymoon.

I wonder who has the poems, if anyone does. My uncle sold the property with everything included. His interpretation of that was with photos and everything. My mom and dad snuck up and took garbage bags full of personal things before the new owners took over.

Edited 3/11/05 - I spoke to my mother yesterday and she had no idea that her father wrote poems for her mother. She fears they are gone with all of the personal belongings. We hope my aunt has them.

No comments: