Wednesday, March 02, 2005

April 2, 1973

Monday

We may visit my grandparents over the spring vacation. (hols in England) and I am frightened. How does one talk to one's grandfather who just had his leg (part of it) removed? {that is difficult - just be loving}

I have tried to talk to Mother about it - but all she says is act natural. How can I act natural? I love him so much I don't want to hurt him by acting cold or anything which I am afraid I will seem like. He has gone through enough pain as it is.

We are beginning grammar in English. I don't like it - but I will go along ungroaning and bear it. I need it, I know. But what I need most of all is help with spelling! I have improved very much since last year - I think Spanish has helped me, and, although I hate to admit it, so has looking things up in the dictionary and now it is a mess, falling apart. {dictionaries are a terrific source of learning!} I hope that means I used it too much. {I think it does}

I am rather frightened about Thursday, for on that day I begin swimming lessons at the YWCA. The last time I was in the water was about four or five years ago - not counting wading in the lake in Chetek. I've probably forgotten how to float. I hope my fear of water hasn't returned. I took swimming lessons at Wing Park for five years and flunked beginners every time.




Note:
My first thought in reading that my mom said "act natural" was that if I acted natural I would run away screaming.

I still don't spell well. Thank goodness for spellcheck. Spelling was always one of those things that made me feel bad about myself.

My writing seems different than at the beginning of this journal. I think it might be the influence of the British authors I loved.

No comments: