Wednesday, March 02, 2005

February 24, 1973
In which I wonder WWCD (What would Cindy do?)

Lori and I saw Fiddler on the Roof Saturday. It was really beautiful. {It was, wasn't it?} I expected the movie to be about a poor musician who made a living by playing the violin on people's houses.

I haven't told Cindy that I saw it. I didn't want to go with her because if I had been excited over the movie she would say that I was copying her. Just like at J. C. Superstar. She was all worked up over it and asked me why I wasn't hopping up and down over it. I said because I had to be thought about it at first -- she then told me that I didn't like it. The next day when I was excited about seeing it she said I was copying her and doing the same thing she did.

Why do I get sick when I even think of her? We were once best friends. When we are together we still are - but when there are other people around she shows off her wit and humor.

Note:
Again it is interesting to read and think about my friendship with Cindy in relationship to my daughter's friendship with her once best friend. I have agonized over Clare and Angela's lost friendship, but after reading my entries from thirty years ago, I know Clare will be fine and she may even have good memories of the good times with Angela.

I thought I had seen Fiddler on the Roof with Cindy and her mother, I don't even remember seeing it with Lori.

I do remember seeing Jesus Christ Superstar though, and do remember the conversations with Cindy about my opinions of it. Cindy had a huge personality and I think I was always either overshadowed by it or trying my best to break free of it and show some of my own personality. I remember thinking, back in junior high, that I could do something really exciting one weekend - something I had never done before (go to Europe or something) and Cindy might have weeded the garden or made a cake that weekend. On Monday, Cindy's stories about her weekend would still overshadow mine, she was always able to make the most mundane of stories much more exciting than anything I could come up with.

One more Cindy memory. In 9th grade (which was still middle school back then) the song American Pie first came out. I heard it on WLS and thought it was wonderful. I told Cindy about it and she was not interested, didn't listen to me tell her about this awesome song I heard that weekend. A few days later Cindy was describing a wonderful song she heard on the radio. It was American Pie, of course.

No comments: