Wednesday, March 02, 2005

March 12, 1973
In which I recall a prayer

Monday

I don't know how in the world I will be able to complete two books and three sets of questions by this Friday. I really should have planned better - but it's no use saying "should have". I guess I'll have to become a recluse and hide in my room all week and read my books and do the questions.

The quote on the board today "The world is so full of a number of things I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings" held a part of my childhood.
{excuse
¯
From Robert Lewis Stevenson}

When I was younger I found that quote in a book and liked it. Since I said the daily prayer at dinner I used the saying in place of my usual one. My parents thought - "Oh how beautiful, did you make it up all by yourself? Hmm - they had never read it. I lied that I had.

One day a few months later the quote was in a paper. I doubt I have ever been so embarrassed.

It was written by Robert Lewis Stevenson, wasn't it? {right}
Note:
While I remember saying that quote as a prayer, I don't remember the incident where my parents found liked it, I lied and then it was in the paper. It might have happened though.

I didn't recall that it was written by Stevenson though.

I recently saw a movie in which this quote was used as a prayer. And I thought I was unique.

The teacher crossed out what she wrote very well, but I am pretty sure that is what it says after excuse.

No comments: