Tuesday, February 15, 2005

June 5, 1972
In which Sally gets Gary after Pam dumps him

9:45 pm

I haven't written in the longest time. I was upset to write because Jeff read this. I could have killed him -- I really enjoyed it though. I think he likes me.

The party was last Friday. It was O.K. Pam and Gary were hardly together and today (Monday) Pam broke up with him! But Sally moved in right away and I had no chance. Sally said that he tried to kiss her and began necking. I don't believe that one bit. If he did that to me I sould slap him. I still like him and Sally is making me mad. She called tonight and began pouring out her problems.

We got our yearbooks Friday. Jerry P. signed mine and added "Sex is fun and so are you" and "By the way you are a real son of a bitch." I was so mad at him.

Note:
It is interesting reading this now that I have two middle-schoolers. I listen to what Clare tells me about her friends and boys and school but it seems so foreign to me. Now I realize I was there doing the same things as she does.

I met Sally my first year of middle school (we called it junior high back then). She and my friend Cindy knew each other when Cindy lived on the east side of town. They were in elementary school together. Cindy told me about Sally's eye when Cindy and I were sitting in the Auditorium during the first few days at Kimball Junior High while a teacher strike was going on.

Sally developed cancer in her eye when she was very young, maybe three years old. The doctors were able to get rid of the cancer, but they also had to remove her eye and eyelid. She had a plastic eye that did not look at all real. Her parents ran a department store in Elgin called Joseph Spiess. Sally and I had a long friendship. We went to England together even. Sally's oldest sister was an actress and model. I lost touch with Sally after high school. She married and moved to Indiana. Sally died of cancer in 1985 on the day of our tenth high school reunion.

No comments: