Thursday, February 24, 2005

February 15, 1973
In which I discuss friendships

Thursday

That was stupid what I wrote yesterday.

I have decided that Lori is really the best friend I have. She understands my moods {good choice of words) as a natural thing (for I am a very moody person I'm afraid). Yesterday when I came to school with a frown and a sharp tongue she understood and didn't try to pry into what was wrong. Then she sent me a valentine card and said: (I hope you feel better).

It's thoughtful things like {You seem to have a true understanding of "friendship"} that that brings friends closer together.

I feel terrible - I received two valentines yesterday and I didn't send any. {pretty popular}

I received a letter from Pam yesterday. She said that she could hardly believe that Gary called me. She said that he must be hard-up. I wonder how I should take that.

I had a dream about Gary last night (nightmare actually).

Note:
On hindsight, if I had been a better friend to people, perhaps I would have had more of them like Lori. I don't think I really had any idea of how to be a friend at age 16.

And that Pam.

Pam moved from Elgin to a town in northern Minnesota probably around this time so the letter might have come from Minnesota. She married right out of high school, became a nurse and had children early. Her husband, a firefighter, did some stepping out during the marriage and she and he divorced about ten years or so ago. My husband and I visited her in Duluth about 15 years ago. She and I quit writing not long after the divorce. Of course I know what she meant. Gary had no interest in me so he must have been hard-up to call. Ha. Good thing she and I no longer correspond.

No comments: