Monday, January 29, 2007

July 22, 1974
In which we say goodbye

Jeremy and his parents from the bus window
The day I've dreaded for ages has arrived. I said goodbye to Jez and his family. Tomorrow I say goodbye to England. It has really been great fun while it lasted. I can't wait until Jeremy and I are together forever. Saying goodbye to loved ones is about the hardest thing I can think of to do. I'm going to begin a letter to Jeremy now.

Note:
This was the first of many partings between Jeremy and me, and each one was as hard as the next, even after we'd broken up. My mom said it was preparing us for the death of the other. Pretty morbid way to put it, and I don't think she was right.

We visited Jeremy and his wife, Frances, in 2002 and saying goodbye that time was hard as well. Mostly because I knew I'd most likely never see him again.

The photograph is of Jeremy and his parents, taken from the bus window.

No comments: