Tuesday, February 15, 2005

May 9, 1972
In which I begin a journal, miss school, and dream about Poles

10:40 am
I have decided to keep a journal instead of a diary. Diaries have printed dates and when I don't write for a while I just waste all of that paper.

I ruined my glorious record -- I missed a day of school. Sunday was the walk for development (I only walked twenty out of the thirty miles and I have two great blisters).

Note:
I remember writing this entry in physical science class in 9th grade. My friend, Sandy, filled in the word "journal" because I was not sure how to spell it. My love of English novels is apparent in my use of "great" instead of large or huge.


12:30 pm

I had a terrible dream last night. I dreamed that all of the Polish people in the U.S. revolted and made like a Nazi party or something. Mrs. Jordan was screaming Polacks! Polacks! at the people and there was a dead dog in our attic. I wonder if this is a prophetic dream??

At lunch today Pam seemed mad at something. For some reason I have a feeling that she and Gary are going to break up. Either that or they are getting a little too serious for their ages.

Note:

Mrs. Jordan was Cindy's mom. I don't know why she was in a dream, much less one that was so racist. She was one of the most non-racist people I knew.

I had a crush on Gary. I met him at a cub scout pack meeting in which my younger brother raced a pine wood derby. Gary and another boy scout, Bob, were there. They recognized me the next day at school and teased me about having worn a pair of short shorts (called "hot pants" back then) and a see through blouse (what was my mother thinking?) to the cub scout meeting. Gary or Bob said something about looking better the night before. At some point in the next few weeks I pointed Gary out to my friend Pam, telling her that I thought he was cute. Low and behold he ended up taking her out and they wound up going steady. However it didn't seem to bother me much. I think it must have bothered me, but I would not admit it to myself.

No comments: