Monday, February 21, 2005

January 26, 1973
In which the lights go out

Friday

When I got to school today I noticed that the windows were all dark. I didn't really think much of it though. When I walked through the door the halls were nosier than usual and much darker as I walked farther into the heart of the school the halls were getting so dark I could hardly see. As I turned the first corner I ran into someone and a voice started laughing (for now I couldn't see my hand a foot in front of my face - it was so dark). I said, "Excuse me" and the voice said, "That's ok". "What happened? -- Did the lights go or something?" I wanted to know. "Yes, they are out all over school," the voice replied and I stood there talking to the voice. I decided that I had better find my way to the door to get to my locker. I began towards the general direction of where I remembered the door was, thinking all the time how terrible it would be to be blind.

Note:
What is remarkable now is that this person could have been popular and I would have not known. I remember this day and this conversation with a voice. Not too unlike the Internet where all you have are words and no sight.

No comments: