Wednesday, February 23, 2005

February 7, 1973
In which I read Dickens

Wednesday

I have just started A Tale of Two Cities. I guess it is about the French revolution. Everyone who has read it has told me it isn't so good - but maybe it is. Anyway - last year I became very interested in the French revolution because I read The Queen's Confession by Victoria Holt. In sixth grade Penny and I liked stories about Marie Antionette because she was beheaded (ick). Now I really like stories about her time because ia mi interested din her. I am trying to get a picture from her eyes (The Queen's Confession) and from the people's eyes (hopefully A Tale of Two Cities).

The book begins weirdly - I don't really understand it now - but I'm sure I will when I get into it further. {what optimism}

Note:
I remember reading both books mentioned in this entry. I was a big fan of Victoria Holt aka: Jean Plaidy aka: someone else. I should re-read A Tale of Two Cities though. I remember liking it, but am sure I missed a lot.

Penny was a friend from the neighborhood. She and I used to have séances in our basement bathroom (the only room in the house that could be darkened enough for our meetings with the spirit world). We tried to talk to the spirits of Lenin and Mary Jo Kopechne. The first because we had just learned about him in history class and the second because we wondered if she could tell us any answers about her death which happened a few years before this entry. Just now looking at the wikipedia entry for her, she shares a birthday with my daughter.

No comments: