Tuesday, February 15, 2005

May 18, 1972
In which I wear a dorky shoe and socks combo and my crush talks to me and I have a squirt gun fight.

10:00 am

What a day! Well at least a morning. I put on my old icky shoes today -- with bobby socks. I planned on changing into my gym tennis shoes. Well I hadn't planned on them getting all soggy in gym -- so I had to call home and tell my mother to bring my brown shoes. It was when I was in study hall that it dawned on me as to how It would look with brown tennis shoes and white bobby socks!!

10:00 pm

12 hours later: What a day! This time I really mean it. When mom brought my shoes I didn't even wear them. Then in study hall I just about had to stand up. In algebra I had a paper (test) with only one stupid mistake. how maddening. I told Pam to buy my lunch milk for lunch because I would be late.

Gary was with her before lunch. I rushed down and changed shoelaces. I got to lunch finally and ate a rushed meal.

Then in World Cultures my button popped off and I had to go into the sewing room to sew it back on.
In English I forgot my book and had to go to my locker and get it. I stopped off at the library and talked to Mindy.

Now for the climax: I stopped into the Home EC room to give Pam her 4 ¢ and when I came out Greg L. had Gary C.'s head pinned under his arm. I shouted, "Kill him, Kill him!" He (Gary) looked around and said, "Who said that? Oh it's you Patrick!" I laughed and went on to science. After science when I went to my locker I said "Hi Pam" and she said the same thing back (only with "Dona" instead of "Pam" of course). Just then Gary came up and started wagging his finger at me (index) "You, you, you!"

"What?" I asked.

"What?" Pam asked.

"I just about had my head in a locker because of her."

I laughed and Pam demanded to know more.

Gary said, "Hit her, hit her," and I backed away. Then he explained it to her.

So my day was complete.

Yesterday was a nice day. Mike S. came over and we had a squirt gun fight. I came outside with a water balloon and Mike stole it and broke it over my head. By the end of the night I was sopping. I also made friends with one of the friends on the corner -- Carl F. He called me by my name today. I have to make friends with everyone over there.

Note:
Mike was the son of my parent's friends. We had known each other since birth. He even ate my playdoh during a tea party that included Mike, my brown bear, my baby doll and me. I served red playdoh cookies and warm water in a tea pot. Mike at the cookies. His mother didn't laugh. Although I never told anyone, nor my journal, I think my first kiss ever came from Mike. I didn't count it because was a few years younger than me, but that evening with the water balloons and squirt guns he cornered me in the kitchen and kissed me.

Carl F. of "over there" lived in the low income housing that went up on the corner lot of the street on which I lived. My parents fought the city in putting the prefab homes there. There used to be a huge Victorian mansion there, empty most of the time, but when families lived there they smelled bad and were obviously very poor. Carl F.'s parents were both hearing impaired. I remember wondering how all their children (they had at least five boys) learned to talk. The oldest boy became a police officer.

No comments: