Thursday, February 17, 2005

June 18, 1972
In which I am sullen and resolve to bear (not to be confused to bare) it all

I haven't written in a week because I haven't had anything to write. Nothing has happened except four trees were uprooted by a tornadoish wind.

Jack and Ginny came up today. They brought a letter from Sally. Sally didn't say anything about Gary, and it's just as well she didn't. I don't think I am going to write him like I thought I would. It just wouldn't be right -- would it?

The weather has been rotten, I have been feeling rotten -- now with Ginny and Jack here, I really feel rotten -- why I don't know -- but I do. Probably cos I feel so ugly. I want to go home. -- I miss everyone, especially Cindy. I have to go in now because Grandma and Ginny are coming.

Ginny just said, "Writing again?" and I closed this. Then she said, "oh her diary." She doesn't have to make something out of it. Maybe if I just act like Miss Dove and bear along with everything. I hope so. Keep smiling and keep your head up Dona!

Note:
Jack and Ginny are my aunt and uncle. Ginny is my mom's youngest sister and my most favorite of all my aunts. When I was upset with my mom I used to pretend that Ginny was really my mother but had to give me up for adoption. That would have been pretty difficult since Ginny was only 11 when I was born, but I still liked that fantasy. I do remember writing the bit about Jack and Ginny arriving and being annoyed that Ginny made the comments about my journal writing. I figure it was just me beeing a sullen teenager, nothing personal towards my aunt.

I must have either read the book or seen the movie, Good Morning, Miss Dove, which I barely remember now, but a quick Internet search tells me is about a beloved but strict teacher who is so devoted to her students she works dispite being in pain until she finally asks a student to get a doctor. She dies at the end, I think, but her students all come to school and wave at her outside her hospital room window. It is a real tear-jerker I believe.

And yes, I realize that the sentence about Miss Dove in my journal was a fragment. :-)

No comments: