Tuesday, February 15, 2005

May 11, 1972
In which Cindy makes me mad and Mom gets sicker

10:45 am

Cindy makes me mad sometimes. Today in the library I was talking to Betsy about Marve and Cindy came up to the desk. I quieted Betsy down and Cindy said, "Well, gosh,". Then I went back and sat down. When Cindy came over I told her that I didn't like to tell her things because she keeps on bringing it up. She said that whenever I saw Mark Rhode I said, "Look who's over there." That is a lie! I do not. She pushes me into Paul Hurley doesn't she? Besides, I don't like Marve anymore; I never really did. I guess I just haven't gotten completely over Gary yet.

Mom is getting sicker all the time. I hope she doesn't have to go to the hospital. Cindy thinks that she should -- what does she know?

Today Mr Tombough is going to talk to us about the science trip to the Museum of Science and Industry this Saturday. We will leave at 8:15 am and return at 4:30 pm.

Note:
Cindy was my best friend from 7th through part of 11th grade. Then she got into the early graduation track and felt more like she belonged with the class ahead of me. The last year I really felt close to her was our Junior year, but it was never the same. We kept in contact for a few years after high school. After that, her father and I would send Christmas cards to each other and he would let me know how Cindy (now Cynthia) was doing. She married (I was invited to the wedding, but it was in Maine and I didn't attend), and had a daughter. A few years ago I lost contact with her father and discovered that he had died. A couple of years ago I located Cynthia's husband on the Internet and emailed him, wondering if he could tell Cynthia I was sorry about her father. He emailed me back, telling me that Cynthia spoke of me often, and that he would forward my email to her. She never returned a message. Not that I really expected it...she was always pretty bad with written correspondence.

One more thing. About 20 years ago I got a card from her. She was going to stop over in Pittsburgh on a flight from Maine to Hawaii (where she lived). Could I meet her there for a few hours? I said I would, but on the day she was due to arrive we had a terrible snowstorm and I couldn't drive to the airport. We did speak on the telephone and she said that something had been bothering her for years and she wanted to tell me she was sorry for being so mean to me in school. She knew the right buttons to push to make me angry, and she said she liked to push them to see my reaction. I wished she had not told me that, I didn't realize it. Kind of ruined my memories of our friendship.

My mom's "sickness" was probably hypothyroidism with which she was diagnosed and successfully treated for a few years later. She is fine and still healthy today.


1:06 pm

I just had a sad thought. There are only seventeen more days left of school. That means only seventeen days to see Gary. It really makes me sad. I have a lump in the pit of my stomach -- oh well, I have to get over him someday. This is getting real dramatic.

Note:
Um, no shit Sherlock (as my daughter wishes she could say), this is getting dramatic.

No comments: