Thursday, May 26, 2005

July 6, 1973
In which I see Greg

Oh boy Dona, you blew it -- simply blew it!!! What happened was: I had just walked in the back door after falling off a ladder and injuring my shin. I was in the process of making an ice pack and applying it to my wounds when I saw a movement out the front door. There, standing on the porch was a male person less than twenty and more than fifteen.

I limped to the door and asked, "Yes?" The male person said, "Dona?" I said "Yes". And then I knew it -- it was Greg. My kindergarten sweetheart. "Do you know who I am?" he asked. Although I did I didn't want him to know that I knew. I acted sort of puzzled and then said, "Oh, I know -- Greg." He confirmed it and introduced me to his friend with a broken leg.

We talked for a while about the past. He saw my '75 necklace and has probably figured out what happened.

Anyway -- I am so terrible -- I didn't even invite them in!!! The house was clean for once. I swear I have never been more embarrassed in my entire life! And was he good looking!!!!!!!

Worse things have happened though. I couldn't bring myself to write about it earlier -- but Grandpa had a heart attack. Mother rushed up there. I have been keeping house all week long. I haven't seen Bob at all since Saturday morning -- I think I miss him -- or at least a male companion.

I can't get over how cute Greg is. I was a mess - God, how embarrassing!

I would never tell anyone but I almost think that if Grandpa dies he would be a lot better off than he is now. Not that I want him to -- it would be a terrible blow on Grandma -- but he has gone through so much pain.

Note:

Greg P. was in my kindergarten class. I suppose we were friends when I was 5, but then the family moved away. It turned out that he was related in some way to the neighbors for whom I babysat (Chad's father was his uncle or cousin or something). Greg had misbehaved or something at school where he went and his parents sent him to live with his grandmother who lived around the corner. He always seemed older than his years. He had a car and he smoked and drank coffee. He drove me to school my entire junior year of school and each morning we stopped at McDonalds for coffee and hot chocolate. He always paid for my hot chocolate - not that I ever tried to. I wanted to date him, and I think that people thought we were dating, but he was out of my league.

He left the next year. The last I heard of him was that for some reason a poster of him was made and it was at a flea market or something. It had lipstick marks all over the face because girls would kiss it, he was that cute.

I wrote the story of my Grandfather Green in another blog, so I won't repeat it here.

No comments: