Thursday, January 10, 2008

October 27, 1975 In which I contemplate the future Dona

Monday
11:oo pm

Needless to say, I haven't written for a long time. One month! I want to finish this before the new year. I wonder what it will be like, looking back at this mixed-up journal in twenty years. I've gone from age 16 to 19 in these few pages. From my first real boyfriend to my fiance . This journal has traveled with me on the farthest journey I've ever been away from home and it's always been at my side. I don't know if I've ever slept anywhere without it. And what do I have to show? Not much writing, I'll grant that.

Will this stuff interest me in years hence? Will I say, "Oh, yes I remember Jeremy, I thought I was in love with him" or "Oh Jeremy, remember this?" Que sera sera whatever will be will be.

I haven't even mentioned I'm working at Zayre. Nothing much to say on that subject -- it's money.

I'm going back to England this summer. I am, that is, if I can keep the money. I don't know about myself and my debts. Soon though that money will build up and up in the account and I will be rich.

Note:
Don't recall writing this, but I do recall wondering what future selves would think of my journals.

Zayre - I was a jewelry clerk. Zayre was like K-Mart. I sold costume jewelry.

I did get to England that summer. Airfare must have been low or I was a pretty good saver.

Regarding Zayre: From Wikipedia: (this is classic as we said back then)

Regarding Zayre: From Wikipedia:The original name of the company was "Zayre Gut," which means "very good" in Yiddish. Not having enough money to pay for a sign that included both words, ownership instead installed the first word "ZAYRE" to the front of their building with the intentions of adding the "GUT" later. However, the company became branded as "ZAYRE" and the owners feared that adding the second half of the name might confuse customers.

No comments: