Friday, April 25, 2008

February 25, 1976 -- In which I attend a seminar and am changed forever


Wednesday

10:21 pm

A very important day in the life of Dona Lee Patrick. I am now on my way to becoming a butterfly. I am now a caterpillar, but soon may be a butterfly. I don't think I will ever be on the caterpillar pillar. I wonder if I have to spin a cocoon.

Woody and I went to a speech today about knowing ourself. In order to have a good life (all aspects of it) one must first know oneself.

I don't know what that man [the speaker] did to me, but whatever he did it sure felt good! I was full of electricity when I left. It was wonderful. Woody and I got to know each other even better.

Note:
The notice for this meeting was something about sex. The speaker was one of those charismatic motivational speakers that knows how to work an audience. I'm not sure what it was all about -- my husband went too (we didn't know each other at the time) and thought it had something to do with self-actualization. Something possibly akin to Scientology. Dean was not as impressed as I was.

The whole butterfly - caterpillar - caterpillar pillar thing was from a book by Trina Paulus called Hope for the Flowers. I still have a copy of this book and read it now and then. Each time the message is a little different for me.

There was also a whole sunrise aspect / discussion about this seminar. Now that I think back on it, I'm a little skeptical. It might have been anything -- some sort of cult trying to recruit college students. I'm surpised there is not much on YouTube about this book, but here is a video inspired by it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally random question: Do you pronounce your name with a long O? So it sounds like Donut, instead of Donna? Just curious. My mom's name is Dona Lee, with the long O. Like I said, totally random question. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -

I pronounce it with a short o - like Donna.

People often think it is like donut - and a couple of folks have given me "donut" as a nickname, including my husband.

Thanks for visiting. Cool your mom and I have the same first two names, albeit pronounced differently.