Thursday, April 24, 2008

Collecting #1 (No Date)

  1. Bus driver sitting on her bus, under "No Smoking" sign, smoking a cigarette.
  2. The last days of summer cloudy and cold while the first days of autumn sunny and warm
  3. My father [incorrectly] correcting my mother's grammar (using still where yet would be better) and turning to me saying, "Good grief, she didn't never used to speak like that.")
  4. A neighbor who moved away called up and said that someone had stolen her waitress uniform off the line and the next day finding out that one of her co-workers had hidden it in the rose bush.
  5. An old woman whom I have lived behind for 14 years saw me at the bus stop and asked where I lived. This woman is known for her observation.

Note:
I guess this was a list of contrasting things for
my English class. I actually remember every event, especially my father's
grammar lesson. My father thought that it was proper to use the word "yet" in
place of "still" in most instances. For example, instead of saying, "My brother
still uses this way of speaking." My dad would say, "My brother uses this way of
speaking yet."

I don't know if it is correct, but I suspect not. Or perhaps it is a regional
way of speaking.

No comments: